Departure: San Zaccaria - Bridge Della Paglia (of the straw) length of tour: 2 h
The bridge from which begins the tour is so called because the boats that carried the straw until 1285 moored here and from this point we are in the Riva Degli Schiavoni. The bank takes its name from Slavonia (Slavonia and Dalmatia), one of the first lands conquered by the Republic of Venice. Here mechants ships full of goods were used to moore along this deck and not only, ships of ambassadors and emperors, on a visit to the Doge. The next bridge immediately, leads to the beautiful San Zaccaria church, and originally stood at the its sides of the church the monastery belonged to the order of Benedictine nuns. The convent was a very old institution and "prestigious", in fact the nuns who lived there were from wealthy families, often noble. In fact when they entered they had to donate substantial qualities: so it was that, the Benedictine community became very rich. The life of the monastery was anything but dedicated to prayer and to the monastic rigor, in fact in the parlor where the sisters were receiving visits took place masquerades and shows.
In 864, an abbess of the convent gave to the Doge Pietro Tradonico the first horn, the hat adorned with precious stones, which then became the symbol of the doge. We return to the shore and continue enjoying the beautiful view. Across two bridges, we find on our left the Church Della Pietà. The church dates back to the XV century, but in the '700 was rebuilt by architect Giorgio Massari (1686-1766). In the church they were used to held the concerts of putte (joung girls) and from 1703 and 1740 the Pietà's choir was trained and directed by the great master Antonio Vivaldi.
Next to the church, in Calle della Pietà, there was an orphanage, where they were abandoned children. To overcome the abandonment of children, right here was (and still present the original plaque), which was trying to dissuade parents through heavenly warninings.
We return to the shore of the Sette Martiri and let's enjoy this walk towards the Giardini (Gardens), baptized later as the Biennale Gardens. Here in fact the first of 1900, was inaugurated the first International Biennial of Visual Arts. At this point we suggest a small break in the Serra bars, delicious refreshments, with well-tended garden, which is located inside a beautiful greenhouse of the first '900. Among lovely flowering and tropical plants, you can enjoy a cup of tea from the many tastes with a slice of cake or a salty croissant.
By Roberta Michieletto